Captain Robert Alexander Carnegie ANSTEY
17th Cavalry, Indian Army attached to the King's African Rifles

Date of birth: 26th March 1890
Date of death: 18th October 1978

Died aged 88
Robert Alexander Carnegie Anstey was born at Jaraidaile in Western Australia on the 26th of March 1890 the son of Harry Anstey, a civil engineer, and Edith Euphemia (nee Carnegie) Anstey of 59 Cadogan Square London.

He was educated at Hazelwood School until December 1903 where he was a member of the Choir and was a member of the Football XI in 1902 and 1903, and of the Cricket XI in 1903. The school magazine wrote the following on his 1902 football season: - "(Outside left) - A magnificent worker with a grand turn of speed; prone to selfishness - must learn to shoot from the instep."

And the following on his 1903 football season: - "(Outside left) - Uncertain; can be both brilliant and mediocre; when at his best is a very dangerous forward: must learn to keep his place along the line, and to make better use of his comrade on the wing."

They wrote the following on his 1903 cricket season: - "Rather a disappointing bat, being too fond of the word "impossible". Plays back to fast half volleys, but can hit hard. A lively and energetic field anywhere and can bowl a lob. "

On leaving the school the magazine wrote the following on him: - "...goes for his final preparation for the Britannia. He has been a capital all round athlete, in both Elevens, and very useful in the choir and on stage."

In time he decided against the Navy and went instead to Trinity College, Glenalmond from September 1905 to July 1907 where he was a member of the Cricket XI in 1906 and 1907. On leaving school he spent some time in France.

He was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the 1st County of London (Middlesex, Duke of Cambridge’ Hussars) Yeomanry on the 1st of March 1909. He resigned his commission on the 27th of April 1912 and moved to South Africa, where, later that year he recovered from a bout of ill health. By 1913 he was farming in in the Nanyuki District of Kenya.

He rejoined the army on 9th of August 1914 as a Trooper with the East African Mounted Rifles and on the 7th of October 1914 he was granted the rank of Lieutenant while in service in East Africa with A Squadron, Somali Scouts. By September 1915 he was serving with a squadron of the 17th Cavalry, East Africa Squadron, Indian Army in the area of Bissil. In 1917 he saw service with the King's African Rifles with the rank of Captain and was mentioned in despatches.

He was married to Kathleen Ellen Shaw (nee Kirwan) at Holy Trinity Church Folkestone on the 1st of December 1920. They had a daughter, Margaret Leila Kirwan, born on the 20th of June 1924 and two more daughters, Rosemary, and Heather Kathleen. They lived at 23 Grigston Gardens Folkestone until moving to Kenya where he became a farmer at Tharua Farm, Naro Moru. He was the owner of "Inshalla", which won the Kenya Steeplechase Cup in 1923 and was a member of the Cavalry Club, Piccadilly.

On the outbreak of the Second World War, he was visiting his wife's family and was enrolled as a temporary member of the ARP. He was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant on the General List in the Army Cadet Force Section on the 25th of November 1940 and was promoted to Lieutenant on the 25th of May 1942.

He died at Tharua Farm, Naro Moru in Kenya.