Captain Frank Trevor POWER
B Company, 9th (Service) Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment

Date of birth: 29th August 1892
Date of death: 25th December 1947

Died aged 55
Buried St Luke's Churchyard, Hatfield Plot 1 Row 13 Grave 9
Frank Trevor Power was born at 29 Penywern Lane, Brompton on the 29th of August 1892 the third son of Edward John Power, a grain merchant, and Harriett Maud (nee Windeler) Power of 8 Gledhow Gardens, Kensington. He was christened at St Mary's Church, Long Ditton on the 2nd of October 1892.

He was educated at Hazelwood School until July 1903 when he was advised to leave due to ill health. He went on to Rugby School from September 1906 to 1910 where he served as a Colour Sergeant in the Officer Training Corps, achieving Certificate A in 1910. He was apprenticed, for a term of seven years, to Henry Lennox Hopkinson as a merchant tailor from the 7th of May 1913.

Following the outbreak of war he was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the York and Lancaster Regiment on the 22nd of September 1914. He embarked for France with his battalion from Folkestone on the 27th of August 1915 as officer commanding B Company and landed at Boulogne at 11.30pm that night. On the 1st of July 1916 the battalion was heavily involved in the attack on the first day of the Battle of the Somme but he was left behind at Long Valley when the battalion attacked at Thiepval. This very probably saved his life as there were 22 officer casualties suffered by the battalion. He was absent from the battalion at some point after this as the battalion records show him returning to his unit in February 1917.

After the war he became a Director of the family firm of Power Bros. & Co., Grain Merchants of 30 St Mary Axe, London EC3.

He was married to Margaret Alison (nee Thorburn) MBE on the 4th of October 1923 at St Marylebone Parish Church. They had children; Edward WA, born on the 5th of September 1924, Margaret M., born on the 19th of October 1925, Ann P. born in 1928, John T., born in 1929 and Robert born in 1938. They lived at "Ashbury", St Albans Road, Hatfield in Hertfordshire.

On the outbreak of the Second World War he was mobilised for war service with the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment with the rank of Captain on the 24th of August 1939. He was promoted to temporary Major on the 2nd of February 1940 and to Major on the 27th of November 1941. He was later appointed as an Honorary Lieutenant Colonel and, at the time of his death, he was with the 30th Battalion, Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment. He was awarded the MBE.

Back